FYI - to improve the aligning with Ubuntu Kernel releases I also
organized that we will pass over responsibility for this package to the
kernel team. That way it should be much more in sync which should
improve future kernel/iproute2 level match.

** Changed in: iproute2 (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to iproute2 in Ubuntu.

  rebase iproute2 to newer version

Status in iproute2 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in iproute2 package in Debian:

  Ubuntu's iproute2 version [1] is still many kernel versions behind.
  It's still on 4.9, whereas shipped kernel is on 4.13 in the meantime!

  iproute2 is developed alongside the kernel, so new kernel features
  will also get updates to iproute2 whenever they change related code.
  Meaning, these features cannot be used out of the box if the actual
  shipped iproute2 version here is not on par with the kernel version
  (the release tags have 1:1 mapping with kernel releases) [2].

  Please consider updating iproute2 package, and please also consider
  updating it regularly along with officially shipped kernels in Ubuntu,
  so that all the added networking features can be used there without
  forcing users to do a manual compilation of iproute2.

  Thanks,
  Daniel

    [1]
http://changelogs.ubuntu.com/changelogs/pool/main/i/iproute2/iproute2_4.9.0-1ubuntu2/changelog