This sounds like a valid bug still, but low priority if PulseEffects is
not part of standard Ubuntu. So most people will never notice. We're
working on the assumption that many more people want USB and Bluetooth
devices to work well, than PulseEffects.

But still, this sounds like a valid bug. Please log your request for
switch-on-connect to ignore virtual devices here:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=PulseAudio

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: pulseaudio (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  module-switch-on-connect switches to virtual devices

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  The module-switch-on-connect module that has been enabled by default
  in Artful is causing virtual devices added by PulseEffects
  (https://github.com/wwmm/pulseeffects) to be activated and set to the
  default/failsafe device.  This also changes which device the system
  volume control changes.  It should only automatically switch when a
  physical audio device is plugged in.  If there is no way to detect
  this automatically, then I would say this should not be the default
  configuration, or it should be added as an optional preference.  In
  the meantime, I have worked around the issue by copying
  /etc/pulse/default.pa into ~/.config/pulse and commenting out loading
  the module.