** Summary changed:

- An empty Dir::Cache::archives is treated incorrectly and even removes all
files in the root folder
+ Dir::Cache::archives="" places archives in / instead of turning off caches.
See apt.conf(5).

** Changed in: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Dir::Cache::archives="" places archives in / instead of turning off
  caches. See apt.conf(5).

Status in APT:
  Invalid
Status in apt package in Ubuntu:

  From apt.conf(5):
  Dir::Cache contains locations pertaining to local cache information,
  such as the two package caches srcpkgcache and pkgcache as well
  as the location to place downloaded archives, Dir::Cache::archives.
  Generation of caches can be turned off by setting their names to
  be blank

  Following this documentation, I created /etc/apt/apt.conf.d/30nocache
  containing the below line to disable the cache:
  Dir::Cache::archives "";

  To my surprise, the directory /partial is created and downloaded .deb
  files get into / as well as the lock file. Even worse, when apt-get clean
  is executed, all files under / get removed!

  # apt-get -s clean
  Del /* /partial/*

  Please fix the documentation and/ or prevent /* from being removed.

  Affected versions:
  - 0.8.16~exp5ubuntu13 (Ubuntu Oneiric)
  - 0.8.10.3+squeeze1 (Debian Squeeze)