   systemd-resolve breaks resolution of local network hostnames

  systemd-resolve: fallback from resolve causes lookup of local network
  hosts to fail

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  After upgrading to Ubuntu 16.10 from 16.04, DNS resolution of hosts on
  my local network fails.

  The hosts line in /etc/nsswitch.conf is:
  hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] resolve
[!UNAVAIL=return] dns mdns4

  If I change it to:
  hosts:          files mdns4_minimal [NOTFOUND=return] dns mdns4

  I can resolve hosts on my local network. Appending .local to the
  hostname also allows DNS resolution since systemd-resolve returns a
  different error for that case.

  Ex:
  systemd-resolve rt-ac66u
  rt-ac66u: resolve call failed: All attempts to contact name servers or
networks failed

  systemd-resolve rt-ac66u.local
  rt-ac66u.local: resolve call failed: No appropriate name servers or networks
for name found

  "dig rt-ac66u" returns the correct ip.