Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: xorg (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Cant find video driver for Acer Aspire One GZ5

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  What i exptected to happen:
  Install Lubuntu 17.10 and have no problems with video drivers

  What happened instead:
  Freshly installed Lubuntu 17.10 has problems with video drivers. Especifying
nomodeset makes it usable but it's not optimal and the max resolution i'm
getting is 800x600.

  Whenever I install Lubuntu and try to get to the desktop, there is an
  about 80% of the screen that is black, and the remaining 20% is
  normal. I don't know if it is because of the driver, but

  sudo apt-get install xserver-xorg-video-intel
  [sudo] password for freddy:
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
  xserver-xorg-video-intel is already the newest version
(2:2.99.917+git20170309-0ubuntu1).
  xserver-xorg-video-intel set to manually installed.

  This tells me that supposedly the driver is installed.

  This is the output of lscpci -v that shows the part of the video
  chipset:

  freddy@freddy-PC:~$ sudo lspci -v
  00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express Memory
Controller Hub (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Mobile 945GSE Express Memory
Controller Hub
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Capabilities: [e0] Vendor Specific Information: Len=09 <?>

  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GSE Express
Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03) (prog-if 00 [VGA controller])
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Mobile 945GSE Express Integrated
Graphics Controller
        Memory at 58480000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        I/O ports at 60c0 [size=8]
        Memory at 40000000 (32-bit, prefetchable) [size=256M]
        Memory at 58500000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=256K]
        [virtual] Expansion ROM at 000c0000 [disabled] [size=128K]
        Capabilities: [90] MSI: Enable- Count=1/1 Maskable- 64bit-
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2
        Kernel modules: i915, intelfb

  00:02.1 Display controller: Intel Corporation Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME,
943/940GML Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 03)
        Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Mobile 945GM/GMS/GME, 943/940GML
Express Integrated Graphics Controller
        Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0
        Memory at 58400000 (32-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=512K]
        Capabilities: [d0] Power Management version 2

  I just want my video to work ok. I installed the Intel microcode
  propietary driver and it doesnt seem to work either. I have to hard
  power down the pc because the reboot button that i can see in the 20%
  of the screen that is viewable doesnt work at all. I'm using the
  latest lubuntu, 17.10.

  freddy@freddy-PC:~$ lsb_release -rd
  Release:      17.10

  freddy@freddy-PC:~$ apt-cache policy xorg