Thanks for your report, Michael. The behavior you describe is apparently
not correct. There is a subtle issue regarding dead keys, and I mark
this bug  as a duplicate of that other bug report. You may want to study
it and try some of the workarounds mentioned.

   Compose and dead keys stopped working with XIM after upgrade to 16.04

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in

  spanish keyboard not accentuating vowels

Status in xkeyboard-config package in Ubuntu:

  I've already added the Spanish language keyboard to unity and the keyboard
indicator at the top indicates the Spanish keyboard and I do get Ñ and ñ
  however when I go to accentuate a vowel áéíóú it's not working

  the normal process is that I press the apostrophe key (in the us keyboard it
would be two keys toward the right from "L") then select the vowel to be
accentuated.
  however you're not supposed to see anything until the vowel is selected.

  what is happening instead is that I'm getting an apostrophe right away
  when I press the tilde key.

  NOTE0:
  I've tested also other variants of the Spanish layout with similar success..

  NOTE1:
  I have installed cinnamon also and when I login to cinnamon it works, so I'm
only experiencing the issue in unity.

  NOTE2:
  I'm very proficient with computers and have successfully done this many times.

  NOTE3:
  I'm working on a fairly clean setup of Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
   I've only added Cinnamon and the Intel Drivers to the system and google
chrome
   system is also up to date.