This bug was fixed in the package sddm - 0.14.0-4ubuntu2

---------------
sddm (0.14.0-4ubuntu2) bionic; urgency=high

  * Don't use an absolute path when setting $DESKTOP_SESSION (LP:
#1668722).

 -- Simon Quigley <tsimo...@ubuntu.com>  Sat, 10 Feb 2018 18:25:09 -0600

** Changed in: sddm (Ubuntu Bionic)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  60x11-common_xdg_path uses $DESKTOP_SESSION which needs a sanity check

Status in SDDM:
  Unknown
Status in sddm package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in sddm source package in Bionic:
  Fix Released
Status in xorg source package in Bionic:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  This file:
  /etc/X11/Xsession.d/60x11-common_xdg_path
  contains references to $DESKTOP_SESSION variable.

  On one of my Ubuntu installs this variable contains: "plasma",
  on the other it contains: "/usr/share/xsessions/plasma".

  I don't know where either example comes from, but the upshot is that
  paths are added to XDG_DATA_DIRS and XDG_CONFIG_DIRS that don't exist.
  MANDATORY_PATH is also affected I believe, maybe others.

  Surely a sanity check of the generated paths is in order. Seems
  pointless to add non-existent ones.

  $XDG_SESSION_DESKTOP looks like a replacement for $DESKTOP_SESSION,
  but is that true?

  Cheers!