With the fix for this bug I'm dropping the clearly obsolete question,
but IMO adding different questions would confuse less experienced users.

I think power users who can cope with regressions caused by packages
from sources coming from sources not allowed by unattended-upgrades by
default should be able to change the u-u configuration file - or add new
configuration files overriding default values.

Optionally updating packages automatically from PPAs or unofficial
sources would be indeed be a feature that could be made available in an
easier way, but I think it would be better to track this potential
improvement in a separate bug.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unattended-upgrades in

  Origin pattern is unexpected on dpkg-reconfigure

Status in unattended-upgrades package in Ubuntu:

Bug description:
  In testing out the new unattended-upgrades behaviour I was asked an
  unexpected question about the "unattended-upgrades Origin-Pattern".
  This is not a great experience, it doesn't match anything other than
  internal code patterns.

  For example, the default offered does NOT look like a sensible Ubuntu
  default for Ubuntu users:

  Is that correct, or a mistake?

  What I would expect is simply this:

   Install security updates (Y/N)
   Install performance and reliability updates (Y/N)
   Install updates from unofficial archives (Y/N)

  The latter would map to all PPAs etc.