ldapi:/// is a unix socket connection, it shouldn't have a "name" or IP
component. It can optionally take a path component, but usually should
just be left blank.

Could you please attach your /etc/ldap.conf and /etc/ldap/ldap.conf?

Is your ldap server on localhost, or remote on another machine (in which
case ldapi:/// makes no sense).

In the meantime I'll start with two scenarios:
a) ldapi and slapd server on localhost
b) ldap and slapd server on another machine

I'm going to use 17.10, since 17.04 and 16.10 are end of life and I'm
having difficulties with creating a VM for them with MAAS (which is my
test environment).

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to accountsservice in Ubuntu.

  Login prompt never presented with ldap login and ldapi set with a
  name.

Status in accountsservice package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in libpam-ldap package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:

  I have a ldap login configuration that has worked with several Ubuntu
  versions.

  Unfortunately it doesn't work with 16.10.

  If I left my ldapi setting using a name as I used to, the login prompt
  never appears. If I change the ldapi setting to the IP of the
  authentication server, the login works perfectly.

  The authentication server name resolution works fine on 16.10 (after
  login) and on previous version even during login.

  It seems to me my problem is related to some ordering issue.

  Package: libpam-ldap 184-8.7ubuntu1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.3-0ubuntu8.2
  Architecture: amd64