upstream fix: https://github.com/systemd/systemd/pull/8330

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: systemd (Ubuntu Bionic)

  systemd 237 reports incorrect state when drop-in present

Status in systemd:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:

  Raised this upstream:

  In short, in systemd 237 as it ships with Bionic, if a unit has a
  drop-in present but has been masked, systemctl is-enabled and
  systemctl list-unit-files report incorrect state, showing the units as
  enabled rather than masked.

  This works as-expected in systemd 229 under Xenial. I have not tested
  under systemd 234 in artful so I cannot say for sure exactly when this
  was introduced, but will spin up a quick test to see if this also
  exists under systemd 234.