I tried it again:
  assurancetourix:~> ssh falbala sudo apt install ntp

and this time I got... What's in the previous comment. (I looked for a
"preview" button to see if I got the "quoted text" right. Expecting to
be able to edit, and not finding the preview, I clicked subit. Now I
can't find the "edit" either. Sorry.... )

So.... It seems the bug mostly got fixed in the past 8 years. At least
for me it did

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to debconf in Ubuntu.

  debconf seems to require a controlling TTY even when no interaction is
  required

Status in debconf package in Ubuntu:

  Binary package hint: debconf

  Having installed NTP on a very similar workstation I expected no interaction,
so I typed:

  %  ssh root@falbala apt-get install ntp
  Reading package lists...
  Building dependency tree...
  Reading state information...
required:
    linux-headers-2.6.32-16-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-16
  Suggested packages:
    ntp-doc
    ntp
  0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
  Need to get 559kB of archives.
  After this operation, 1,450kB of additional disk space will be used.
  Get:1 http://nl.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main ntp
1:4.2.4p8+dfsg-1ubuntu
  1 [559kB]
  debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
  debconf: (TERM is not set, so the dialog frontend is not usable.)
  debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
  debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
  debconf: (This frontend requires a controlling tty.)
  debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
  dpkg-preconfigure: unable to re-open stdin:
  Fetched 559kB in 1s (412kB/s)
  Selecting previously deselected package ntp.
  (Reading database ... E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg received a segmentation
fault
  .
  Of course adding "-t" on the ssh commandline works:

  assurancetourix:~> ssh -t root@falbala apt-get install ntp
  Reading package lists... Done
  Building dependency tree
  Reading state information... Done
required:
    linux-headers-2.6.32-16-generic linux-headers-2.6.32-16
  Suggested packages:
    ntp-doc
    ntp
  0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 10 not upgraded.
  Need to get 0B/559kB of archives.
  After this operation, 1,450kB of additional disk space will be used.
  Selecting previously deselected package ntp.
  (Reading database ... 143304 files and directories currently installed.)
  Unpacking ntp (from .../ntp_1%3a4.2.4p8+dfsg-1ubuntu1_amd64.deb) ...
  Processing triggers for man-db ...
  Processing triggers for ureadahead ...
  Setting up ntp (1:4.2.4p8+dfsg-1ubuntu1) ...
   * Starting NTP server ntpd                                              [ OK
]

  Connection to falbala closed.
  ---

  but I don't think that debconf should complain/fail and cause dpkg to
  crash if it doesn't need to ask me anything.

  Ubuntu Lucid.