Not sure how this is a bug in lame - but I don't know which package it
is a bug in ATM, so reassigning to "Ubuntu"

** Package changed: lame (Ubuntu) => ubuntu

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lame in Ubuntu.

  Multimedia support available both on Live Session and fresh install
  without installing restricted-extras: MP3, wmv, wma

Status in Ubuntu:

  Do we have MP3 support  available both on Live Session and fresh
  install without installing restricted-extras and fluendo mp3 decoder?

  I downloaded mpthreetest.mp3 from
  http://archive.org/details/testmp3testfile

  and it`s playing fine on Audacious or Gnome Player on the live session
  on Vbox.

  fresh install:
  I did another test on a real machine, and I did not check the box to install
the Fluendo mp3 decoder. However I can play mp3 files without those packages.

  Pls, is that expected?

  Package: libmp3lame0 3.99.5+repack1-3
  Uname: Linux 3.9.0-6-generic i686
  ApportVersion: 2.10.2-0ubuntu1