I'll try to experiment on several hosts, when I have free time. Maybe,
at the weekend.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to console-setup in Ubuntu.

  A boxes instead of a Cyrillic chars in VTs

Status in console-setup package in Ubuntu:

  $ lsb_release -rd
  Release:        18.04

  $ apt-cache policy keyboard-configuration
  keyboard-configuration:
    Встановлено: 1.166ubuntu7
    Кандидат:    1.166ubuntu7
    Таблиця версій:
   *** 1.166ubuntu7 500
          500 http://ua.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
          500 http://ua.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main i386 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  I expected to have cyrillic fonts in any of six VTs, /dev/tty[1-6],
  but it shows boxes instead of them. Please, see screen shot in
  attachment.

  It's very likely that this is an old bug that was fixed earlier but it
  appeared it 18.04 dev again. Here it is:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/console-setup/+bug/1565542

  Package: console-setup 1.166ubuntu7
  ApportVersion: 2.20.8-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: KDE
  Date: Wed Jan 31 20:46:57 2018
  InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Alpha amd64 (20180103)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=
   PATH=(custom, no user)