This bug was fixed in the package systemd - 237-3ubuntu4

systemd (237-3ubuntu4) bionic; urgency=medium

  * systemd-sysv-install: fix name initialisation.
    Only initialise NAME, after --root optional argument has been parsed,
    NAME is initialized to e.g. `enable', instead of to the `unit-name`,
    in failures. (LP: #1752882)

 -- Dimitri John Ledkov <>  Mon, 05 Mar 2018 09:57:58

** Changed in: systemd (Ubuntu)

  Systemd sysv install fails with update-rc.d: error: unable to read

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  The bionic builds of cloud images for one of our partners fails when
  installing/enabling NTP in the image during livecdrootfs build:

  + chroot mountpoint_gce systemctl --root / enable ntp.service
  Synchronizing state of ntp.service with SysV service script with
  Executing: /lib/systemd/systemd-sysv-install --root=/ enable ntp
  update-rc.d: error: unable to read /etc/init.d/enable

  On Xnox's request I am filing a bug here and assigning to him.

  Please let me know if you need further information.

Mailing list:
Post to     :
Unsubscribe :
More help   :