This is still an issue in Ubuntu 16.04 up to the current date.
It is an interface bug, as Robin Sheat pointed out.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Netmask automatically changes to 24

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released

Bug description:
  Binary package hint: network-manager

  I have added a new wireless connection with a WPA2 password and a manual IP
address, like this:
  IP address:, Netmask: Gateway:
  I also added two DNS servers.
  The connection is flawless (pass my compliments to whoever responsible for
this, I could never get it to work on Hardy). However, when I edit the wireless
connection again, for some reason, the Netmask changes to 24. Just 24. The
connection still works. Everything else is the same.
  network-manager version:  0.7~~svn20080908t183521+eni0-0ubuntu2
  I'm running Ubuntu Intrepid Ibex Alpha 5.

Mailing list:
Post to     :
Unsubscribe :
More help   :