Today I've checked in Xenial with autofs 5.1.1-1ubuntu3.1. So far it
seems to be working here as well. I would guess this bug is fixed then.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to upstart in Ubuntu.

  [SRU] [xenial] autofs needs to be restarted to pick up some shares

Status in autofs package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in autofs5 package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in upstart package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in autofs source package in Xenial:

  I am using autofs to access shares on a Windows XP machine from a
  Kubuntu AMD64 machine.  The problems applies in both Breezy and
  Dapper.

  EDIT:  confirmed with similar configuration on Intrepid with a NetApp
  filer hosting NFS.  Server OS removed from summary.

  When I first try to access the mount point via cd or in Konqueror it
  does not exist.  However,  if I then restart autofs
  (/etc/init.d/autofs restart) everythin then works OK.  My config files
  are:

  auto.master

  #
  # $Id: auto.master,v 1.3 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
  #
  # Sample auto.master file
  # This is an automounter map and it has the following format
  # key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
  # For details of the format look at autofs(5).
  #/misc        /etc/auto.misc --timeout=60
  #/misc        /etc/auto.misc
  #/net /etc/auto.net

  /petunia /etc/petunia.misc --timeout=60

  petunia.misc

  #
  # $Id: auto.misc,v 1.2 2003/09/29 08:22:35 raven Exp $
  #
  # This is an automounter map and it has the following format
  # key [ -mount-options-separated-by-comma ] location
  # Details may be found in the autofs(5) manpage

  cd              -fstype=iso9660,ro,nosuid,nodev :/dev/cdrom

  tony  -fstype=smbfs,defaults,password=xxx,fmask=777,dmask=777
://192.168.1.2/tony
  chris -fstype=smbfs,defaults,password=xxx,fmask=777,dmask=777
://192.168.1.2/chris
  shared        -fstype=smbfs,defaults,password=xxx,fmask=777,dmask=777
://192.168.1.2/SharedDocs
  linuxbackups  -fstype=smbfs,defaults,password=xxx,fmask=777,dmask=777
://192.168.1.2/linuxbackups