Dear Sean!

It seems you do not understand bug description.
I install `xubuntu-desktop` task-package from mini.iso on 18.04 LTS with `sudo
apt-get install xubuntu-desktop`.

What is the difference with "a base install of Xubuntu"? What is wrong is this
method?
Users should be able to install desktop task as they want. Clean installation
is not an option for some (or most do not really sure) users.

I attach the list of installed packages. I do not have other desktops
installed.

You should check this again. It may be dependency problem or something
similar.

Checked again today - installed xubuntu-desktop from mini.iso.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-datetime in

  gnome-control-center is unusable on xubuntu-desktop, but called from
  Gear (About this Computer, System Settings) icon, Text Entry Settings,
  clock (Time & Date Settings)

Status in gnome-control-center package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in indicator-datetime package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in xubuntu-meta package in Ubuntu:

  Steps to reproduce:
  1. Install `xubuntu-desktop` meta package on 18.04 LTS
  2. Login to session
  3a. Click on clock indicator on panel, select "Time & Date Settings"
  3b. Click on Gear, select "About this Computer" or "System Settings"
  3c. Click on keyboard layout indicator, select "Text Entry Settings"

  Expected results:
  xfce-oriented control center is opened

  Actual results:
  gnome-control-center is opened, but with empty window.

  Package: xubuntu-desktop 2.223
  ApportVersion: 2.20.8-0ubuntu10
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE