This bug was fixed in the package casper - 1.393

---------------
casper (1.393) bionic; urgency=medium

  * Cache Ubuntu fonts for plymouth on shutdown. LP: #1760598

 -- Dimitri John Ledkov <x...@ubuntu.com>  Wed, 04 Apr 2018 11:55:32
+0100

** Changed in: casper (Ubuntu)

  I/O Error after clicking "reboot now" - Ubuntu font missing from
  casper shutdown

Status in ubuntu-mate:
  New
Status in casper package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid
Status in ubiquity package in Ubuntu:
  Confirmed
Status in ubuntu-mate-welcome package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  ubuntu Plymouth theme now correctly uses Ubuntu font, meaning it needs
  to be cached for display of the shutdown message.

  We really should be using shutdown initramfs on the livecd....

  --

  Tested in Virtualbox VM.
  Ubuntu MATE works after force-reboot, but after I click on "restart now"

  req_error: I/O error, dev sr0, sector 1488792

  And the above message loops a couple times, and wont turn off the
  computer to restart.

  No error happens after force reboot, and the OS boots properly, but
  I'm curious as to what's causing this.