Hello H.-Dirk, or anyone else affected,

Accepted apport into artful-proposed. The package will build now and be
available at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/apport/2.20.7-0ubuntu3.8 in a few
hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package.  See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how
to enable and use -proposed.Your feedback will aid us getting this
update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
mentioning the version of the package you tested and change the tag from
verification-needed-artful to verification-done-artful. If it does not
fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the
tag to verification-failed-artful. In either case, without details of
your testing we will not be able to proceed.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification .  Thank you in
advance!

** Changed in: apport (Ubuntu Artful)

** Tags added: verification-needed verification-needed-artful

** Changed in: apport (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Tags added: verification-needed-xenial

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apport in Ubuntu.

  apport attachment JounralErrors should only be included for crash
  reports which are private

Status in apport package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in apport source package in Xenial:
  Fix Committed
Status in apport source package in Artful:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  apport includes an attachment called JournalErrors which includes warnings
and errors in journalctl output. This can in rare circumstances include private
information.

  [Test Case]
  1) Run ubuntu-bug apport
  2) Observe JournalErrors attachment in the .crash file

  With the version of apport from -proposed JournalErrors will only be
  included in crash reports not regular bug reports. So follow the same
  test case and ensure JournalErrors is not included then run:

  1) d-feet
  2) pkill -11 d-feet
  3) Observe JournalErrors in the d-feet .crash file

  [Regression Potential]
  Its possible my code is bad and then apport would crash when collecting
journal errors. However, apport will just carry on and not include that
attachment which would still be an improvement as there wouldn't be any private
information included.

  See the bug report
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/evolution/+bug/1738564
  created with ubuntu-bug.

  Original Description
  --------------------

  Apport includes the file JournalErrors.txt
  This file includes e.g. the following line.
  Dez 16 19:11:31 hostname /usr/lib/gdm3/gdm-x-session[9679]:
dbus-update-activation-environment: setting
MPD_HOST=xxxx...@xxxx.xxxxxxxxxxx.org

  Normally it would be not problem that gdm-x-session write this to the
  journal, because the journal is not intended to be published on the
  internet.

  Setting confidential informations via environment is maybe not the
  best idea, but a legal procedure and for `mpc` the only way to set
  this information.

  IMHO the apport utility is here the problem, because it includes the
  file with risky information to a public visible bug report.

  Note: I manually delete the attachment in the mentioned bug report.
  But how can I sure that a web crawlser hasn't read/preserved that
  attachment?