Lonnie, please use a separate gnome-shell bug for that issue.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to indicator-datetime in

  Ubuntu Clock Won't Show Year

Status in GNOME Panel:
  In Progress
Status in Indicator Date and Time:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-panel package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in indicator-datetime package in Ubuntu:

  indicator-datetime, Ubuntu 12.10

  The Ubuntu menu bar clock offers no setting to "show year".

  Yes, I know what year it is, but I have very good reason for wanting
  it shown. For years, I've been collecting screen-shots, when I'm doing
  something I think is pretty cool. When I use to use windows, these
  screen shots (over the years) have always showed the current year.

  However, since April of 2007 (The date I started using Ubuntu
  exclusively), my screen shots have not included the year, because the
  Gnome clock doesn't provide this capability.

  <https://wiki.ubuntu.com/TimeAndDate#settings>: "'Year' should be both
  insensitive and unchecked whenever 'Date and month' is unchecked..."