I think we need to handle this via removal of the resolvconf package on
upgrade.  Removal (not purge) seems to be sufficient.

Dimitri, is there any remaining reason for systemd to not conflict: with
resolvconf?

** Changed in: resolvconf (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: resolvconf (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: resolvconf (Ubuntu Bionic)

** Package changed: resolvconf (Ubuntu Bionic) => systemd (Ubuntu
Bionic)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to resolvconf in Ubuntu.

  /etc/resolv.conf empty after upgrading from 16.04 to 18.40

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Triaged
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:
  Triaged

Bug description:
  I just upgraded one of my LXC containers to 18.04 and after rebooting,
  the /etc/resolv.conf contains no nameservers. systemd-resolve,
  however, resolves fine and the --status returns the DNS server details
  as expected.

  ProblemType: Bug
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
  Package: resolvconf 1.79ubuntu9
  Uname: Linux 4.4.0-103-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu4
  Architecture: amd64
  Date: Tue Apr 10 22:53:30 2018
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   LANG=C.UTF-8
  SourcePackage: resolvconf
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-04-11 (0 days ago)