Do you still have that old home directory lying around?  I suspect your
.Xauthority file was owned by root.  That would make this ticket a dupe
of bug 1268283.

   Lightdm doesn't give any error message when .XAutority is owned by root

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to lightdm in Ubuntu.

  after typing password on login screen, login screen returns

Status in lightdm package in Ubuntu:
  New

Bug description:
  I am running a dual boot system.
  Installed trusty (amd64) from usb stick - without formatting the install
partition.
  Upon restart the login screen appears all right. But after typing the
password, the screen turns black for a split second - and the login screen
appears again - without any comments.
  If I type a wrong password, I get the incorrect password message on the login
screen.
  If I choose the guest login, unity appears and is perfectly operational.
  What can I do?
  Thanks so much!
  Hans