This appears to be a problem in Ubuntu 16.04, where hud-service is
taking up 2.4 GB of RAM after 27 days on my system.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to hud in Ubuntu.

  hud-service is consuming too much recources

Status in Unity HUD:
  New
Status in hud package in Ubuntu:

  For a couple of days now (I assume since recent Unity updates), my Laptop is
performing more an more poor throughout the day. First 2-3 hours Unity is
running smoothly (Dash, HUD, etc.) Afterwards, opening Dash or HUD and even
switching workspaces and starting applications becomes very slow. Sometimes I
have to restart lightdm from a tty-console or reboot.
  Running "top" in a terminal shows that a process called "hud-service" is
consuming up to 60% of CPU and RAM resources.

  My hardware should be perfectly able to cope with 13.04 (Dell Latitude
  E5420, quad-core, 8GB RAM) and was until about two weeks before.

  Package: unity 7.0.0daily13.04.18~13.04-0ubuntu1
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 3.8.0-26.38-generic 3.8.13.2
  Uname: Linux 3.8.0-26-generic x86_64
  ApportVersion: 2.9.2-0ubuntu8.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CompizPlugins: No value set for
`/apps/compiz-1/general/screen0/options/active_plugins'