** Description changed:

  As discussed previously, we want to have zstd support in 18.04 to evaluate
and potentially enable it in later releases. We also want to add hooks for
  snap integration to apt, this release is supposed to add them too.

  The new features are not invasive - they are new code with a few places
  too hook them in. If no zstd is used, or if no hooks are registered,
  then there will be basically no change in behavior (or code paths).

  # FEATURE: zstd
  The zstd support adds a dependency on libzstd1 to libapt-pkg5.0. This should
not have any effect on live images, since libzstd1 is part of the various live
tasks, as btrfs-progs need it. For installed systems, this might be a new
dependency (if they do not use btrfs, tor, or some other tools), so an increase
of ~520 KB, as that's the size of the library and the library only depends on
libc6.

  This also depends on the zstd patch in dpkg being uploaded. If this
  unexpectedly does not happen, and I upload apt first, I'd revert it
  later before the release.

  # FEATURE: hooks
  The concrete code is still undergoing review, some option names might change
for the hooks before release (e.g. pre-download might become
pre-install-prompt, and the AptCli::Hooks config section only gets Install and
Search lists for hooks to register, rather than individual pre-, post-, and
fail- lists).

  # other changes
  We disable the seccomp sandbox for methods for the release, as it turns out
there are still too many failure cases for it to be worthwhile to enable (NSS
modules, weird libc functions calling weird syscalls, etc). People can
re-enable it with a config option.

  the rest is bug fixes. some change translatable strings in
  documentation, but fix up the translation too. A few additional strings
  are added to the sources.list man page ("mention mirror method in
  sources.list (Closes: 679580)", but I'm happy to back them out.

  There are also some CI fixes, and the major cache version is bumped so
  we can issue updates independently for 1.5 and 1.6 apt release series.
-
- The attached patch is thus preliminary but should be fairly identical to
- the final result.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  [FFe] apt 1.6~rc1, zstd & hook support

Status in apt package in Ubuntu: