I have resolved the issue of dnsmasq not starting.  The cause was that
virbr0 was listed in /etc/network/interface. Removing it solved the
problem. This was my error since I had put it there while trying to
configure virbr0 without dnsmasq (which I have now done sucessfully).

I still consider it a bug that there is no obvious way to edit the
configuration file for dnsmasq when it is started by libvirtd and would
still be interested in an answer to that question as well as better
documentation for the libvirtd/dnsmasq configuration.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to dnsmasq in Ubuntu.

  dnsmasq won't start [Ubuntu 18.04]

Status in dnsmasq package in Ubuntu:

  System: Ubuntu 18.04 All updates: Current
  Could also be a libvirt problem.

  When libvirtd tries to start dnsmasq, I get the following error and dnsmasq
fails to start:
  libvirtd[2125]: 2018-04-24 20:38:47.073+0000: 2178: error :
virNetDevIPAddrAdd:223 : Failed to add IP address 1
  error: Failed to add IP address 10.1.2.1/24 bcast 10.1.2.255 to virbr0

  This was previously working. If I edit
  /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml and change the name of the
  interface to virbr1 dnsmasq starts up correctly, change the name back
  to virbr0 and it fails. Tried a find on the filesystem of '*virbr*' to
  see if there were any files left that shouldn't be there, but found
  only a couple of flag files (don't remember the name), 1 under
  /var/run and the other I think was in /var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq.
  Deleted those but stll doesn't work. I have also shutdown any other
  services that were binding to the virbr0 interface while testing this.

  How can I edit /var/lib/libvirt/dnsmasq/default.conf, or in some other
  way pass my own config parameters to dnsmasq? Instructions inside the
  file say to use "virsh net-edit default", but that edits
  /etc/libvirt/qemu/networks/default.xml which is a different file? If I
  edit default.conf with a normal editor, it gets overwritten by
  libvirtd.

  It appears that the dnsmasq config file is generated automaticlly by
  libvirtd and then dnsmasq is started by libvirtd, so I can't see
  anywhere to put my own config options, short of rebuilding libvirtd
  from source. According to the man page adding the option 'port=0' to
  the dnsmasq configuration will disable dns so that dnsmasq will no
  longer listen on port 53. This is what I would like to do.

  It would be nice to know how to create the virtual NIC needed to route
traffic from the VM's onto my network. Don't want to bridge onto LAN interface,
because system is connected to multiple vlans and wireless when traveling.
  I can handle DNS and DHCP using bind9 and isc-dhcp-server and would prefer to
run 1 instance of these servers for both the host and all guest VM's. Seems to
defeat the purpose of a cache to run a seperate caching dns server for the host
and for the VM's, and then another if you have multiple virtual network
interfaces for different VM's. If I could do this easily, then I wouldn't need
dnsmasq at all.

  Thank You
  Natu