Status changed to 'Confirmed' because the bug affects multiple users.

** Changed in: sudo (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to sudo in Ubuntu.

  sudo: pam_unix(sudo:auth): conversation failed

Status in sudo package in Ubuntu:

  Hello.

  I experience a bug after upgrading from Ubuntu 17.10 to 18.04.

  The bug seems to be a regression because what I am trying to do was
  working with Ubuntu 17.10 and stopped working after the upgrade.

  Here is the problem:

  I have 2 users on my system. One is the user that is created during
  installation, named zzz. The other user I added later, named abc. Both
  users have passwords set. According to passwd the password for user
  abc is a locked password (L) (whatever that means).

  Now I am logged into user zzz and want to execute a program as user
  abc without entering the password of user abc.

  Until Ubuntu 17.10 this was done like this: "sudo -i -u abc /usr/bin/java
-version".
  To get that working I had to add this via visudo: "zzz ALL=(abc) NOPASSWD:
/usr/bin/java"

  Now this seems to be ignored. Instead the terminal is asking for the
  password of user abc. I see this in /var/log/auth.log: "sudo:
  pam_unix(sudo:auth): conversation failed".