Public bug reported:

I´ve installed ubuntu 17.10 from a mini install with no additional
packages by accident*.

I then installed ubuntu-desktop using apt-get.

After installing ubuntu-desktop I saw a number of issues that all appear
to step from having root as the owner of ´/home/$USER/.cache´ in my
profile.

I´ve fixed this, with a simple chown command, but thought you should know
because there are a number of symptoms that could be quite challenging for less
experience users including:
* Firefox won´t startup during to permissions problems with the user´s profile
* Application updates is unable to get a list of available packages because it
can´t access ~/.cache/gnome-software/...´

NOTE: the attached bug report shows the state of my system AFTER I
applied the above fix, and it is now working.

Footnote: *it would be good to have a ´go back´ option during the mini install
after selecting packages as a separate feature request - so that users who do
as I did and press ENTER to select, rather than space, can correct their error.
Iĺl enter this separately. :)

Package: ubuntu-desktop 1.404.1
ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.8
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
** Tags: amd64 apport-bug artful wayland-session

** Description changed:

  I´ve installed ubuntu 17.10 from a mini install with no additional
  packages by accident*.

  I then installed ubuntu-desktop using apt-get.

  After installing ubuntu-desktop I saw a number of issues that all appear
  to step from having root as the owner of ´/home/$USER/.cache´ in my
  profile.

  I´ve fixed this, with a simple chown command, but thought you should know
because there are a number of symptoms that could be quite challenging for less
experience users including:
  * Firefox won´t startup during to permissions problems with the user´s profile
  * Application updates is unable to get a list of available packages because
it can´t access ~/.cache/gnome-software/...´

+ NOTE: the attached bug report shows the state of my system AFTER I
+ applied the above fix, and it is now working.

- * Note: it would be good to have a ´go back´ option during the install as a
separate feature request.
+