here is the text from running:
apport-cli -f -p pulseaudio --save bug.apport

** Attachment added: "bug.apport"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/pulseaudio/+bug/1768411/+attachment/5131795/+files/bug.apport

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to pulseaudio in Ubuntu.

  pulseaudio 8.0-0ubuntu3.9 update broke sound on certain hardware,  the
  dummy output profile is selected by default

Status in pulseaudio package in Ubuntu:

  I help manage a few hundred computers and since the last pulseaudio
  update a few weeks ago ( xenial-updates )  from
  pulseaudio_1%3a8.0-0ubuntu3.8_amd64.deb to
  pulseaudio_1%3a8.0-0ubuntu3.9_amd64.deb ( and libpulse0 )  certain
  hardware including dell models 755, 390, and 3050 lost sound.  They
  were working fine for years but now the dummy output profile is
  selected by default. What happened?

  This can be worked around by explicitly setting:
  set-card-profile 0 output:analog-stereo
  set-sink-port 1  analog-output-headphones

  or by reverting back to pulseaudio_1%3a8.0-0ubuntu3.8_amd64.deb ( along with
libpulse0 ) .

  When I try to use apport it gets to the end and says "apport cannot connect
to crash database" but I have included example system details in the attachment
after the output of pacmd list sinks and default.pa.   ( You can only attach
one file ?!?)