There's more code needed to allow this to work properly.

For one, we need to have netplan write "CriticalConnection=true" in
systemd-networkd config for the remote root cases, so that networkd
doesn't release the IP when it restarts...

This is definitely an issue that requires changes in netplan.io and
initramfs; so I'm updating the targets here on the bug to reflect that.

** Also affects: netplan.io (Ubuntu)

** Also affects: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: netplan

** Changed in: netplan

** Changed in: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: netplan.io (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: initramfs-tools (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: netplan.io (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: netplan
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (cyphermox)

** Changed in: netplan.io (Ubuntu)
     Assignee: (unassigned) => Mathieu Trudel-Lapierre (cyphermox)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to initramfs-tools in Ubuntu.

  netplan does not work on nfsroot

Status in netplan:
  In Progress
Status in initramfs-tools package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in netplan.io package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  It seems like netplan is not working on nfsroot systems.

  Whenever a valid config.yaml is located in /etc/netplan/ the boot
  procedure gets stuck.

  However, with an empty /etc/netplan directory, the nfsroot system
  boots (fetching IP DHCP config by kernel). Then, when I store a config
  in /etc/netplan and run "netplan apply", it stucks again.

  I guess, netplan is (temporarily) taking down active interfaces when
  applying a configuration. This must never happen on nfsroot
  systems(!). I this assumption is true, this is probably a general
  mistake, in my opinion.

  Regards,
   -frank