I removed the dangling "original" symlink, and then "apt-get -f install"
completed successfully.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to resolvconf in Ubuntu.

  package resolvconf 1.79ubuntu10 failed to install/upgrade: installed
  resolvconf package post-installation script subprocess returned error
  exit status 1

Status in resolvconf package in Ubuntu:

  During a "do-release-upgrade -d" from 16.04 to 18.04, an unrelated
  error occurred.  DNS didn't work at that time, so I removed
  resolvconf.  I manually updated my sources.list and did a successful
  dist-upgrade.  Then I tried to reinstall resolvconf, and got the error
  below.

  Installing new version of config file /etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/head ...
  Created symlink
/etc/systemd/system/systemd-resolved.service.wants/resolvconf-pull-resolved.path
 → /lib/systemd/system/resolvconf-pull-resolved.path.
  resolvconf-pull-resolved.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting
it.
  resolvconf-pull-resolved.service is a disabled or a static unit, not starting
it.
  Removing obsolete conffile /etc/init/resolvconf.conf ...
  cp: not writing through dangling symlink
'/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/original'
  dpkg: error processing package resolvconf (--configure):
   installed resolvconf package post-installation script subprocess returned
error exit status 1
   resolvconf

  ProblemType: Package
  DistroRelease: Ubuntu 18.04
  Package: resolvconf 1.79ubuntu10
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7
  AptOrdering:
   resolvconf:amd64: Install
   NULL: ConfigurePending
  Architecture: amd64
   Removing obsolete conffile /etc/init/resolvconf.conf ...
   cp: not writing through dangling symlink
'/etc/resolvconf/resolv.conf.d/original'
   dpkg: error processing package resolvconf (--configure):
    installed resolvconf package post-installation script subprocess returned
error exit status 1
  ErrorMessage: installed resolvconf package post-installation script
subprocess returned error exit status 1
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 16.04.2 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64
(20170215.2)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  Python3Details: /usr/bin/python3.6, Python 3.6.5, python3-minimal, 3.6.5-3
  PythonDetails: /usr/bin/python2.7, Python 2.7.15rc1, python-minimal,
2.7.15~rc1-1
  RelatedPackageVersions:
   dpkg 1.19.0.5ubuntu2
   apt  1.6.1
  SourcePackage: resolvconf
  Title: package resolvconf 1.79ubuntu10 failed to install/upgrade: installed
resolvconf package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit
status 1
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to bionic on 2018-05-04 (0 days ago)