I wonder on which version of Unity is that supposed to work.  Maybe it
works on Utopic, but it doesn't work on Trusty:

$ gdbus call --session --dest com.canonical.Unity --object-path
/com/canonical/Unity/Session --method com.canonical.Unity.Session.IsLocked
Error: GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.UnknownMethod: No such method
'IsLocked'

Is there any alternative for Trusty?

I understand the fact that it's not the same thing to have the screen
locked than to have the screen in blacked out.  However, there have been
plenty of programs or applets written in the past that check whether the
screensaver is active or not by checking this method and this is how it
worked with Unity in Precise.  This basically breaks anything that used
those checks, requiring changes specific for Unity, while gnome-
screensaver keeps behaving the same way.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to unity in Ubuntu.

  GetActive method for the screensaver reports False even when
  screensaver is active

Status in Unity:
  Won't Fix
Status in “unity” package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  Hi!

  unity version: 7.2.1+14.04.20140513-0ubuntu2 (Trusty)

  I have an application that checks the state of the screen saver via
  dbus.  Unity implements an interface for using org.gnome.ScreenSaver,
  so as far as I can see, this should work (Python example):

  import dbus
  session_bus = dbus.SessionBus()
  session_manager = session_bus.get_object('org.gnome.ScreenSaver',
'/org/gnome/ScreenSaver')
  session_manager.GetActive(dbus_interface='org.gnome.ScreenSaver')

  This correctly returns False when the screensaver is not active,
  however, when I lock the screen and check (using a call to
  time.sleep), it also returns False.

  I have checked that calling:
  session_manager.SetActive(True, dbus_interface='org.gnome.ScreenSaver')

  Correctly activates the screensaver, so that part seems to be working.
  However, even in that case, if after activating the screensaver I call
  GetActive it returns False.

  From looking at the code [1], I suspect the problem is that when I
  lock the screen via Ctrl-Alt-L, the internal _active member is not
  being set to True, but I'm not sure what might be going on with the
  variable after SetActive is called.

  [1]: http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~unity-greeter-team/unity-
  greeter/trunk/view/head:/src/settings-daemon.vala#L172