Could you provide more information about this install? When did you
originally install Ubuntu? I thought that the minimum UID has been 1000
for several years.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to shadow in Ubuntu.

  Login package changes MIN_UID in /etc/login.defs ->
  AccountsService/GDM then ignores existing user (UID 501) -> starts
  gnome-inital-setup to create user

Status in shadow package in Ubuntu:

  On May 8. 2018 I was prompted to upgrade from 17.10 to 18.04.

  The upgrade went smooth except that the installer asked me if it could
  make changes to /etc/login.defs. I thought it was supposed to not ask
  questions (and stall the upgrade if I was away from the computer), but
  I pressed yes and it continued. I pressed yes since I had not
  personally modified this file as far as I can remember and was not
  particularly attached to its contents.

  After reboot gnome-initial-setup wants me to create a new user. There
  is no (obvious) way to login with my old user, but Ctrl+Alt+F2 luckily
  worked---I could log in and all my files where still there. I tried
  changing UID_MIN in /etc/login.defs back to 500 from 1000 (I believe
  this was the change I was prompted about), but I still could not login
  graphically, so the /etc/login.defs change may have been unconnected
  to the bug.

  I was able to figure out that the offending program was called gnome-
  initial-setup and an "apt purge gnome-initial-setup" later I could log
  in as normal. I do not believe an average user could have figured this
  out (how many even know about the virtual terminals Ctrl+Alt+FX?).