I am not sure whether it is ok to post here, but I have lately found
this github repo dedicated to making Ubuntu run on XPS 9560. It works
for Ubuntu 17.10 and 18.04 will be hopefully added as well. Many of us
have this laptop and the repo partly adresses the issues mentioned here
so I thought posting the link here might not be a bad idea. I have not
tried this myself yet, but I guess installing U17.10 is the only option
now because of the drivers problem...

https://github.com/stockmind/dell-xps-9560-ubuntu-respin

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to mesa in Ubuntu.

  nvidia-390 fails to boot graphical display

Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in nvidia-graphics-drivers-390 package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in xserver-xorg-video-nouveau package in Ubuntu:
  Invalid

Bug description:
  I'm using Bionic with the new 4.15 kernel. I've been using the
  nvidia-384 driver with no problem for a while.  Today I issued "sudo
  apt-get upgrade" and I was prompted to upgrade the nvidia driver to
  the nvidia-390.  After installing the driver and rebooting, I was only
  able to boot in to the tty terminal.  The graphical display failed to
  boot.  I have had similar problems with nvidia driver version 390 with
  Arch Linux and with Open Suse Tumbleweed.