Since the proposed changes are quite big and seem a bit intrusive, I
would appreciate a Regression Potential analysis as per our SRU
guidelines. I would like to know where we could expect regressions after
this change lands in the stable series.

Also, even though this does seem to be like a frequently-seen crash for
both bionic and artful, I wouldn't want to jam it into the stable series
too hastily. I see the second PackageKit pull request has not yet been
approved by upstream - could we get someone reviewing it and merging
before we proceed? Normally I'd also wait for cosmic to migrate, but I
actually see we're only blocked on the armhf tests not being run - so it
seems to be fine so far.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to packagekit in Ubuntu.

  Crash installing packages using debconf

Status in packagekit package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in packagekit source package in Bionic:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  [Impact]
  Installing .deb package via PackageKit (e.g. using GNOME Software) don't work
reliably when the packages use debconf. This is due to a faulty implementation
of debconf handling in PackageKit.

  [Test Case]
  1. Download opera deb file from opera.com
  2. Run the file to launch gnome-software
  3. Install it
  4. Proceed with the debconf prompt

  Expected result:
  A debconf dialog appears asking if you want to "update Opera with the rest of
the system?". The dialog closes when completed and the package is installed.

  Actual result:
  The dialog shows, but never closes and becomes unresponsive. Force closing
the dialog causes a crash.

  Crash reports:
  https://errors.ubuntu.com/problem/f111546905209e7288c7f8ba5f8f19eea4d97bad