Volume notification bubbles should never appear when the sound indicator
is open (or when the "Sound" screen of System Settings is active). But
this problem would still exist in the other indicators. I see only three
possible solutions: change the visual design of the indicators, or
change the visual design of the notification bubbles, or both.

  volume notification looks bad when an indicator is open

Status in Ubuntu UX bugs:
  New
Status in “unity8” package in Ubuntu:

  I found this while testing silo 11 with krilling #88.

  Steps to reproduce:
  Open an indicator.
  Press a volume button.

  (see the attached screenshot)

  You will see that the notification appears, but it's the same color as
  the header. It has no borders, so you can't tell it's a popup. It
  looks like the header changed to something that's no properly aligned.

  phablet@ubuntu-phablet:~$ apt-cache policy indicator-sound
  indicator-sound:
    Instalados: 12.10.2+14.10.20141007-0ubuntu1
    Candidato: 12.10.2+14.10.20141007-0ubuntu1
    Tabla de versión:
   *** 12.10.2+14.10.20141007-0ubuntu1 0
          500
http://ppa.launchpad.net/ci-train-ppa-service/landing-011/ubuntu-rtm/