Update:

A friend just pointed out that setting `export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive`
helps,
and I verified that in Docker. So _maybe_ we just dropped that setting?

edd@rob:~$ docker run --rm -ti ubuntu:bionic
root@cf1720b38f97:/# apt-get update
Get:1 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security InRelease [83.2 kB]

Get:2 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic InRelease [242 kB]

Get:3 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/universe Sources [3783
B]
Get:4 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/universe amd64 Packages
[18.8 kB]
Get:5 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/multiverse amd64
Packages [1066 B]
Get:6 http://security.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-security/main amd64 Packages
[88.7 kB]
Get:7 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates InRelease [83.2 kB]

Get:8 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-backports InRelease [65.5 kB]

Get:9 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe Sources [11.5 MB]

Get:10 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/multiverse amd64 Packages [186
kB]
Get:11 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/universe amd64 Packages [11.3
MB]
Get:12 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages [1344 kB]

Get:13 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/restricted amd64 Packages [13.5
kB]
Get:14 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/universe Sources [28.7
kB]
Get:15 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/multiverse amd64
Packages [1660 B]
Get:16 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/universe amd64 Packages
[79.3 kB]
Get:17 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic-updates/main amd64 Packages [127
kB]
Fetched 25.2 MB in 4s (5655 kB/s)

Reading package lists... Done
root@cf1720b38f97:/# export DEBIAN_FRONTEND=noninteractive

root@cf1720b38f97:/# apt-get install -y tzdata
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
  tzdata
0 upgraded, 1 newly installed, 0 to remove and 11 not upgraded.

Need to get 188 kB of archives.
After this operation, 3088 kB of additional disk space will be used.

Get:1 http://archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 tzdata all 2018d-1
[188 kB]
Fetched 188 kB in 1s (271 kB/s)
debconf: delaying package configuration, since apt-utils is not installed

Selecting previously unselected package tzdata.
(Reading database ... 4035 files and directories currently installed.)

Preparing to unpack .../tzdata_2018d-1_all.deb ...
Unpacking tzdata (2018d-1) ...
Setting up tzdata (2018d-1) ...

Current default time zone: 'Etc/UTC'
Local time is now:      Mon May 28 17:10:20 UTC 2018.

Universal Time is now:  Mon May 28 17:10:20 UTC 2018.

Run 'dpkg-reconfigure tzdata' if you wish to change it.

root@cf1720b38f97:/#

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to tzdata in Ubuntu.

  [bionic] no unattended installation

Status in tzdata package in Ubuntu:

  Package: tzdata
  Version: 2018d-1
  Ubuntu release: 18.04

  There appears to be a regression with the preseeding data for tzdata in the
18.04 release.
  When running

     apt-get install tzdata

  I now _always_ drop into an interactive selection of the timezone
  'area' and 'zone'. This was not the case before; it is also not the
  case in Debian 'unstable' right now.

  I looked into the postinst script, but I can't figure out where the
  preseeded info would be. I tried debconf-set-selections with a preseed
  file, but no luck.

  This blocks usage of tzdata in Docker containers and is there for a
  bit annoying.

  Package: tzdata 2017c-0ubuntu0.17.10
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.7-0ubuntu3.8
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun May 27 13:17:42 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-Server 17.10 "Artful Aardvark" - Release amd64
(20171017.1)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=screen-256color