Some follow-up.

My wifi is disabled by default.

Even being able to connect to an OpenVPN, the menu is not able to
disconnect an OpenVPN connection (as it does not know it was up).

As the reporter, I can only see the correct status using gnome setting.
There I can enable/disable wifi, list wifi hotspots, connect to them,
enable/disable OpenVPN, etc. And there, it also shows the correct visual
feedback. The problem is only with the menu.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to network-manager in Ubuntu.

  Ubuntu 18.04 - NetworkManager menu items in top right menu behaves
  very strange.

Status in network-manager package in Ubuntu:

  In a fresh Ubuntu 18.04 desktop install, I've found a very strange behaviour
on my Dell XPS 15.
  This laptop doesn't have an integrated Ethernet port, so I've to use external
USB 3.0 Ethernet adapters.
  When I boot Ubuntu with the adapter plugged in, the wired connection section
in the top right menu doesn't show the "Via cavo collegato" section (in
Italian, sorry... maybe in English it is "Through connected cable") in the
correct way, often but not every time...
  The menu section title is sometimes " collegato" and expanding the section it
doesn't list all the defined Ethernet connection profiles I've on my machine.
  To access all profiles and to change it I've to select the "Wired network
settings" item in the section and so the system settings window appears and all
defined profiles are there (so I can change connection by clicking here).

  Another strange behaviour occours with the "VPN" section in the same topright
menu.
  I have two VPN profiles defined (one of Cisco type, the other is of OpenVPN
type). If I select one of this two profiles, VPN connection is established but
the switch button in the menu doesn't reflect the state of the connection. To
see the correct state of the VPN connection I've to open the "system settings"
window, again.

  It seems there is some trouble in the topright menu communication with
  the NetworkManager subsystem.