Ah! Your kernel log mentions the AMD video decoder here:

[ 1223.799908] [drm] UVD initialized successfully.

So it's possible that's the cause of the main problem. Can you please
reintroduce the bug and run 'vainfo'? Does 'vainfo' report different
information after you switch your BIOS?

If that is the problem then the workaround should be:

  sudo apt remove mesa-va-drivers

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to gstreamer1.0 in Ubuntu.

  Video freezes and stutters when using totem (audio continues fine)

Status in gstreamer1.0 package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in mesa package in Ubuntu:

  Advised to file a bug report after posting on "Call for testing: Video
  playback in 18.04".

  Running 18.04 LTS as fresh install (not upgraded from previous version
  - older version still installed in separate partition). Xorg session.

  System: HP Pavillion DV7 (lm726av) - Intel Core i7 2630 processor,
  integrated Intel video

  Playing any local video file (regardless of video format - flv, mp4,
  avi), the video will randomly lag in playback. Audio is not affected,
  it plays back correctly. Very occasional lags in browsers (Firefox and
  Chrome) on pages with a lot of active graphics (flash or HTML5).
  Browser lags significantly improved after installing synaptic driver
  for touchpad operation (I have no idea why this would affect video
  playback - I simply note that it happened).

  I can pick a random video on YouTube and watch it in Firefox or Chrome
  without lag (even full-screen). However, if I grab a local copy of the
  video (using, for instance, Clipgrab) and play it using Totem, I get
  lag.

  I was also advised to try using mpv - I still get lag in mpv, although
  not as pronounced.

  tracy@tracy-hp:~$ sudo apt-cache policy totem
  [sudo] password for tracy:
  totem:
    Installed: 3.26.0-0ubuntu6
    Candidate: 3.26.0-0ubuntu6
    Version table:
   *** 3.26.0-0ubuntu6 500
          500 http://us.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu bionic/main amd64 Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status

  I was also asked to include output of lspci -k - shown below:

  tracy@tracy-hp:~$ lspci -k
  00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family
DRAM Controller (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 2nd Generation Core Processor Family
DRAM Controller
  00:01.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Xeon E3-1200/2nd Generation Core
Processor Family PCI Express Root Port (rev 09)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
  00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core
Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 2nd Generation Core Processor Family
Integrated Graphics Controller
        Kernel driver in use: i915
        Kernel modules: i915
  00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series
Chipset Family MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
MEI Controller
        Kernel driver in use: mei_me
        Kernel modules: mei_me
  00:1a.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
USB Enhanced Host Controller
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
  00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
High Definition Audio Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
High Definition Audio Controller
        Kernel driver in use: snd_hda_intel
        Kernel modules: snd_hda_intel
  00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI
Express Root Port 1 (rev b5)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
  00:1c.1 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI
Express Root Port 2 (rev b5)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
  00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI
Express Root Port 3 (rev b5)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
  00:1c.3 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family PCI
Express Root Port 4 (rev b5)
        Kernel driver in use: pcieport
        Kernel modules: shpchp
  00:1d.0 USB controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
USB Enhanced Host Controller
        Kernel driver in use: ehci-pci
  00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC
Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company HM65 Express Chipset Family LPC
Controller
        Kernel driver in use: lpc_ich
        Kernel modules: lpc_ich
  00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset
Family 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
6 port Mobile SATA AHCI Controller
        Kernel driver in use: ahci
        Kernel modules: ahci
  00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family SMBus
Controller (rev 05)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company 6 Series/C200 Series Chipset Family
SMBus Controller
        Kernel modules: i2c_i801
  01:00.0 VGA compatible controller: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc. [AMD/ATI]
Whistler [Radeon HD 6730M/6770M/7690M XT] (rev ff)
        Kernel driver in use: radeon
        Kernel modules: radeon
  07:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd.
RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet Controller (rev 06)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company RTL8111/8168/8411 PCI Express
Gigabit Ethernet Controller
        Kernel driver in use: r8169
        Kernel modules: r8169
  0d:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000
[Condor Peak]
        Subsystem: Intel Corporation Centrino Wireless-N 1000 BGN
        Kernel driver in use: iwlwifi
        Kernel modules: iwlwifi
  13:00.0 Unassigned class [ff00]: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTS5209 PCI
Express Card Reader (rev 01)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company RTS5209 PCI Express Card Reader
        Kernel driver in use: rtsx_pci
        Kernel modules: rtsx_pci
  19:00.0 USB controller: NEC Corporation uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller
(rev 04)
        Subsystem: Hewlett-Packard Company uPD720200 USB 3.0 Host Controller
        Kernel driver in use: xhci_hcd

  You will note that the system has both the integrated Intel video and
  an ATI Radeon card installed - the system is using the integrated
  Intel video.

  Package: libgstreamer1.0-0 1.14.0-1
  ApportVersion: 2.20.9-0ubuntu7.1
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Sun Jun  3 22:52:48 2018
  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu 18.04 LTS "Bionic Beaver" - Release amd64 (20180426)
  ProcEnviron:
   TERM=xterm-256color
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=en_US.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/bash
  SourcePackage: gstreamer1.0
  XorgLog: Error: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/var/log/Xorg.0.log'