Same on OpenBSD. Since that change, accountsservice is broken here as
well.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to accountsservice in Ubuntu.

  performance of accounts-daemon is very poor

Status in accountsservice:
  Confirmed
Status in accountsservice package in Ubuntu:
  In Progress
Status in accountsservice source package in Oneiric:
  Won't Fix
Status in accountsservice source package in Precise:
  In Progress

Bug description:
  Version 11.10

  The performance of accounts-daemon is unacceptable with large password and/or
group files. We have appoximately 40000 users in the passwords file and 16000
lines in the group file. Having looked at the source, it appears to me the
problem is that for each user is pulls from the password database (via
getpwXXX)  its then calls getgroups to return the users list of groups.

  Getgroups must make a complete pass through the group file to determine the
groups for the user. When initializing this results in
  reading the groups file 40000 times.

  I think a better solution is to build a inverted group file map then first
time getgroups is called by reading the entire group database and building a
data structure indexed by username where a users group list can by found in a
single lookup.
  Of couse, an even better solution would be for getgroups to do that itself,
but that would require much larger code changes.

  I tried installed nscd to see if this would make a difference but no
  dice.

  At the moment, 11.10 is unusable for us because of this problem.

  Hope this is all the info you need.

  Regards, pdg

  p...@uow.edu.au