Well, it's 06-16-2018 and we're up to Xubuntu 18.04 and this problem has
not been addressed.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Synaptics is not fully aware of display environment

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  In a dual monitor environment where separate Xfce4 desktops are
  running on each monitor, you can start Synaptic in either desktop
  environment, but if you start it on display :0.1, it shows the
  Authenticate pop-up window on display :0.0.  Once the password is
  entered, the main window will then appear on display :0.1.  All the
  components of a given program should be display-environment-aware.

  There are a number of system applications that have similar problems.
  I'll report them as I continue to encounter this problem.

  Package: xorg 1:7.7+16ubuntu3
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.4-0ubuntu4.5
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: XFCE
  Date: Tue Sep 12 11:21:53 2017
  ProcEnviron:
   LANGUAGE=en_US
   PATH=(custom, no user)
   XDG_RUNTIME_DIR=<set>
   LANG=C.UTF-8
   SHELL=/bin/ksh
  SourcePackage: xorg
  Symptom: display
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to zesty on 2017-05-27 (108 days ago)