Public bug reported:

I maintain an internal repository for wheezy, jessie, trusty, xenial an
bionic. With bionic started to see an issue that apt-get update waits
for a long time and eventually fails with:

Reading package lists... Done
W: Failed to fetch https://my_repo_url/dists/bionic/myrepo/binary-i386/Packages
 Undetermined Error [IP: 1.2.3.4 443]
W: Some index files failed to download. They have been ignored, or old ones
used instead.

I don't have packages in binary-i386 but I do in binary-amd64. The
reason seems to be that Packages file is empty (as created by dpkg-
scanpackages), since if I manually add just "#" to the file, updating
works again.

Empty Packages -file works in previous versions, so this seems to be a
regression.

** Affects: apt (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to apt in Ubuntu.

  Empty Packages file breaks apt updating

Status in apt package in Ubuntu: