I'm very reluctant to reconfigure openssh for this; it feels like a
layering violation, and a regression of all the work we did way back
when to avoid having to change umpteen packages when we want to change
the default command search path.

How about something like adding a pam_snap session module that would add
itself to PATH in the PAM environment if needed, and plug that in via
/usr/share/pam-configs/ ?  You'd want to discuss that sort of thing with
Steve Langasek, I expect, but it seems nicer than changing the
configuration of individual PAM-using services.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  ssh can't call a binary from a snap without the full path

Status in Snappy:
  Fix Committed
Status in livecd-rootfs package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in snapd package in Ubuntu:

  ssh can't call a binary from a snap, it will only work using the full
  path.

  Let's say I have the hello snap installed in 192.168.122.24. Then:

  elopio@ubuntu-xenial:~/mosh$ ssh 192.168.122.24 hello
  elopio@192.168.122.24's password:
  bash: hello: command not found
  elopio@ubuntu-xenial:~/mosh$ ssh 192.168.122.24 /snap/bin/hello