This happening to me in 18.04 Bionic: the icons disappear after lock/sleep and
do not appear on login.
Restarting with Alt+F2 + r makes them reappear.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to qtbase-opensource-src in

  icons from qt applications disappear after screen lock/sleep

Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in qtbase-opensource-src package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in gnome-shell-extension-appindicator source package in Artful:

  [Impact]

  Indicators of some Qt apps are not showing after unlocking the screen
  or shell restart.

  [Test case]

  - Login to 17.10
  - launch dropbox (if not already launched)
  - Launch telegram (snap version or without libappindicator support)
  - Observe icons in taskbar
  - Lock screen with Super+L
  - Unlock screen
  - Icons should still be there

  [Possible regressions]

  Icons that should be hidden could be visible instead

  The fix doesn't apply to snapped applications

  In the Ubuntu Xorg session, with the Ubuntu Appindicator extension
  enabled, the tray icons for QT apps (in my case, both owncloud-client
  from the Ubuntu repos and enpass, from their own repo) show up after
  first logging in. But once the screen has been left idle long enough
  to be put to sleep, and is then woken up (I don't actually have screen
  *lock* enabled, but it still goes comes back to the clock screen and a
  further gesture is needed to scroll that up to get the desktop), then
  the icons for those QT apps are gone. Non-QT apps (eg: in my case
  hexchat, from the ubuntu repos) remain.

  For a while and due to inattention it seemed more random than that,
  but I'm fairly sure now it's just the display sleep/wake thing that
  kills it.

  The applications are still running in the background (so for instance
  enpass is still available via the browser extension), and can be seen
  in the process list. It's just the icons that have disappeared. If I
  then kill those apps (from the commandline with 'kill [pid]' because
  there's no other interface to do it from) and relaunch them, they
  reappear back in the appindicator area.

  Package: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator 17.10
  NonfreeKernelModules: nvidia_uvm nvidia_drm nvidia_modeset nvidia
  ApportVersion: 2.20.6-0ubuntu7
  Architecture: amd64
  CurrentDesktop: ubuntu:GNOME
  Date: Thu Aug 24 17:12:43 2017
  Dependencies:

  InstallationMedia: Ubuntu-GNOME 17.04 "Zesty Zapus" - Release amd64 (20170412)
  PackageArchitecture: all
  SourcePackage: gnome-shell-extension-appindicator
  UpgradeStatus: Upgraded to artful on 2017-08-22 (2 days ago)