I am observing that in the absence of any network (interfaces not
configured for dhcp/static) I can see the graceful reboot halting almost
every reboot.

* Issue is observed with Ubuntu 18.04 kernel 4.15.0-23-generic
* Also observed with 4.18-rc1 hosted at
http://kernel.ubuntu.com/~kernel-ppa/mainline/v4.18-rc1

Attaching the log which contains failure for both these cases.

Do you think systemd could be the suspect?

** Attachment added: "4.18 fail and 4.15.0-23 fail"

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1777674/+attachment/5154491/+files/nf_odd.log

  Ubuntu 18.04 hangs at "kvm: exiting hardware virtualization" on AMD
  servers

Status in dellserver:
  New
Status in linux package in Ubuntu:
  Incomplete
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  New
Status in linux source package in Bionic:
  Incomplete
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:

  Ubuntu 18.04 hangs at "kvm: exiting hardware virtualization" on AMD
  servers when under graceful reboot stress for 12hrs.

  * This hand is observed only when Onboard SATA DVD Drive is connected.

  * Not seen with Ubuntu 16.04.4 (HWE kernel v4.13)

  * Seen with Ubuntu 18.04 (4.15.0-23-generic, 4.15.0-20-generic)

  Steps:
  Setup a DellEMC AMD server with Onboard DVD Drive, install Ubuntu 18.04 and
start reboot stress
  After a few reboots, observe that the machine hangs at "kvm: exiting hardware
virtualization" and does not proceed with reboot cycles.

  Only physical reset helps in continuing the reboot test.