Fixed by Colin in 1:6.7p1-5+deb8u4 1:7.4p1-10+deb9u2 1:7.5p1-6 by hat
only Xenial still is affected.

But by now Xenial configs should work already since thre is already the
next LTS released.

** Also affects: openssh (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: openssh (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: openssh (Ubuntu Xenial)

** Changed in: openssh (Ubuntu Xenial)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to openssh in Ubuntu.

  service ssh restart does not test the configuration file

Status in openssh package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Released
Status in openssh source package in Xenial:
  Triaged
Status in openssh package in Debian:

  I would have expect "service ssh restart" to run the configuration
  test as "/etc/init.d/ssh restart" do. Or at least, I would have expect
  to have a meaningful exit status in case of failure.

  I modified "/etc/ssh/sshd_config" and mistakenly inserted an error. I
  tried to apply my modification by restarting SSH :

  # service ssh restart
  ssh start/running

  # echo $?
  0

  Because no error were reported I assumed that SSH was running with the
  new configuration. I was wrong because SSH never restarted because of
  a the syntax error in /etc/ssh/sshd_config.

  After some digging I found the error :

  # service ssh try-restart
  /etc/ssh/sshd_config line 100: Directive 'AllowUsers' is not allowed within a
Match block

  Am I wrong to expecting that the new starting method provided in Lucid
  ("service <name> <action>") is equivalent to the old technique
  involving an init script ?

  # lsb_release -rd
  Release:      10.04

  # apt-cache policy openssh-server
  openssh-server:
    Installed: 1:5.3p1-3ubuntu4
    Candidate: 1:5.3p1-3ubuntu4
    Version table:
   *** 1:5.3p1-3ubuntu4 0
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid-updates/main Packages
          100 /var/lib/dpkg/status
       1:5.3p1-3ubuntu3 0
          500 http://ca.archive.ubuntu.com/ubuntu/ lucid/main Packages

  Package: openssh-server 1:5.3p1-3ubuntu4
  ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 2.6.32-24.41-generic 2.6.32.15+drm33.5