Hello Pete, or anyone else affected,

Accepted systemd into bionic-proposed. The package will build now and be
available at
https://launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/237-3ubuntu10.2 in a few
hours, and then in the -proposed repository.

Please help us by testing this new package.  See
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Testing/EnableProposed for documentation on how
to enable and use -proposed.Your feedback will aid us getting this
update out to other Ubuntu users.

If this package fixes the bug for you, please add a comment to this bug,
mentioning the version of the package you tested and change the tag from
verification-needed-bionic to verification-done-bionic. If it does not
fix the bug for you, please add a comment stating that, and change the
tag to verification-failed-bionic. In either case, without details of
your testing we will not be able to proceed.

Further information regarding the verification process can be found at
https://wiki.ubuntu.com/QATeam/PerformingSRUVerification .  Thank you in
advance!

** Tags removed: verification-done verification-done-bionic
** Tags added: verification-needed verification-needed-bionic

  DNS cannot be resolved in Public / Hotel / Starbucks WiFi Hotspot

Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in systemd source package in Artful:
  Confirmed
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed
Status in systemd source package in Cosmic:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]

   * More captive portals have been discovered that do not handle DNS requests
with D0 set.
   * Thus extend previous aruba-networks fix from
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1727237 by retrying all
NXDOMAIN results with lower feature levels just in case.

  [Test Case]

   * systemd-resolved something-nonexistant.ubuntu.com
   * monitor the logs, and check that the transaction has been downgraded
multiple times and tried at least once at a feature level below D0. There
should be a downgrade message in the log.
   * Note, it will be cached, thus one may need to call $ systemd-resolved
--flush-caches

  [Regression Potential]

   * Legitimate NXDOMAIN queries will now take longer, as they will be
  retried multiple times with different features sets until an answer is
  found. At that point the query will be cached and will return quickly.
  This is needed to work-around bad captive portals that do not support
  dns queries with D0. Post-captive portal, the feature level can
  usually be cranked back up and it does after a grace period.

  [Other Info]

   * Original bug report

  I was asked to create a new bug for this in
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/systemd/+bug/1727237 as it
  seems to be a different issue.

  I have installed the nightly image of Kubuntu Bionic from 25th of
  April.

  There systemd is in version 237-3ubuntu10.

  When connecting to the wifi hotspot in my hotel (Quality Hotel
  Augsburg) I cannot open the hotspot landing page that should give me
  access to the WIFI. With Windows and on an Iphone it's working.

  For the following distributions I can confirm it not working:
  Kubuntu 17.10
  Kubuntu 18.04 (nightly image 25th of April 2018)

  The logs were taken on 18.04.

  Workaround:
  sudo systemctl disable systemd-resolved.service
  sudo service systemd-resolved stop
  sudo rm /etc/resolv.conf
  sudo nano /etc/NetworkManager/NetworkManager.conf
    >> add "dns=default" under [main]
  sudo service network-manager restart

  Then I can connect to the WIFI and I see the login page in Firefox.

  To capture some data I did the following:
   - connect to Hotspot
   - enter golem.de

  Case 1: Fresh default Kubuntu install
  With a default Kubuntu install it does not work. I can connect to the WIFI
and get IP and DNS from DHCP but I cannot resolve any hostname. When trying  to
open the router ip directly in the browser it forwards to hotsplots.de which
cannot be resolved.

  Case 2: With aforementioned Workaround
  I connect to the wifi, I open firefox and the login page shows up (if I
havent been connected yet. In the capture I already was able to connect to the
hotspot which allows immediately to connect to the webpage)

  PS: I'll be in this hotel till Friday 27th if more information are
  required.