I have tested the new packages here, and I can confirm that they solve
the problem.

** Tags removed: verification-needed verification-needed-bionic
** Tags added: verification-done verification-done-bionic

  [backport] DRM devices opened by logind stay referenced indefinitely
  by PID 1

Status in OEM Priority Project:
  Triaged
Status in systemd:
  Fix Released
Status in systemd package in Ubuntu:
  Fix Committed
Status in systemd source package in Bionic:
  Fix Committed

Bug description:
  [Impact]

   * It should be possible to change DRM driver without rebooting.
   * It should be possible to correctly suspend & resume, whilst preserving
driver state.
   * This bug is for userspace/logind fixes, required to get above working.
   * Related kernel change is
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux/+bug/1778658
   *
https://github.com/torvalds/linux/commit/5775b843a619b3c93f946e2b55a208d9f0f48b59

  [Test Case]

   * Test and verify that on machines with Nvidia discrete graphics, one
  can change performance/power-saving modes without rebooting.

  [Regression Potential]

   * There are changes to the fd handling that are passed to logind. At
  worst, fd to the NVIDIA driver will still be held, and thus one would
  continue to not be able to switch graphics modes without rebooting.

  [Other Info]

   * original bug report:

  refer to https://github.com/systemd/systemd/issues/6908

  we need that solution to make NVIDIA dGPU switching works.

  impacted issue:
  https://bugs.launchpad.net/somerville/+bug/1774326