Yes, this was intentionally removed, as in practice it's horribly
inconvenient to use and (because it called maintainer scripts for
literally every installed packages) ended up running into all sorts of
bugs in other packages.  We don't intend to bring this back - sorry.

** No longer affects: cdebconf (Ubuntu)

** Changed in: debconf (Ubuntu)

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to cdebconf in Ubuntu.

  Missing option -a on dpkg-reconfigure

Status in debconf package in Ubuntu:
  Won't Fix

Bug description:
  I'm using debconf 1.5.55ubuntu2 and I'm noticing that the option -a to
  reconfigure all installed packages does not exist anymore. Is there a
  special reason that it got removed? Maybe it can be implemented again.