Public bug reported:

I have a MacBook Air laptop which is running Linux (Kubuntu 16.04.5 LTS)
with NVidia Graphics Card, KDE, Xorg, SDDM, and so on... Clean and
natural install, no funky custom kernel or drivers or anything...

Everything worked fine (with the 4.13.* kernel) until I've upgraded all
my packages (which included the "wonderful" 4.15.0-29 kernel, which
broke my system).

Now, everytime I try to boot normally, it asks me for my disk password (I have
an encrypted LVM) and after that, guess what ?: blank screen. The login screen
does not appear.
I can switch the Terminals with Ctrl+Alt+Fx, however.

However, the same kernel, if I boot it in recovery mode and then I
select "Resume", the login screen appears, but it lags a little bit...

Needless to say, if I boot the older kernel (4.13), everything works
perfectly.

I dug up some logs and found something like "sddm-greeter" segmentation
fault in nouveau_dri.so or something like this.

So, it looks like the new kernel doesn't quite seem to look eye-to-eye
with nouveau drivers...

And no, I don't want the NVidia proprietary drivers because I get along
just perfectly with Nouveau on other machines, and I don't want to
reinstall nvidia drivers everytime I'm upgrading the kernel.

And yes, I already have "haveged" installed, to provide sufficient
entropy (I saw that the possible lack of entropy might be a problem in
some cases)...

If I boot in recovery mode and then select "resume", everything works.

So, what is going on ?

Any help would be appreciated...

Package: xorg 1:7.7+13ubuntu3
ProcVersionSignature: Ubuntu 4.15.0-29.31~16.04.1-generic 4.15.18
Uname: Linux 4.15.0-29-generic x86_64
ApportVersion: 2.20.1-0ubuntu2.18
Architecture: amd64
CurrentDesktop: KDE
InstallationMedia: Kubuntu 16.04.4 LTS "Xenial Xerus" - Release amd64 (20180228)
SourcePackage: xorg

** Affects: xorg (Ubuntu)

** Tags: amd64 apport-bug xenial

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xorg in Ubuntu.

  Nouveau crashes at login with Kernel 4.15.0-29 on MacBook Air, so no
  login screen in a normal sequence

Status in xorg package in Ubuntu:

  Date: Fri Jul 27 10:40:31 2018