Fine, thanks for that.

As I use Neo 2 exclusively – no other keyboard layouts – there should be
no further problems once the choice has been made.

Touch seeded packages, which is subscribed to xkeyboard-config in

  German Neo2 Problem with Xubuntu 18.04 (try out mode)

Status in xkeyboard-config:
  Confirmed
Status in xkeyboard-config package in Ubuntu:

  When trying Xubuntu 18.04 Bionic Beaver from a USB Stick, I am offered
  the Neo2 Keyboard Layout, but it does not work. What I get is
  apparently Neo2 Mod4, but not Mod 1, as it should be.

  I wonder if Neo2 does work if I install 18.04 properly?